Ned help, can't view streaming content online in Firefox, IE 7
JSGTPD
2008-01-04 19:14:01 UTC
Hi all

Ok so here is what I am running

Windows Vista Home Premium
Firefox 2.0.0.1.1
Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11

So here is what is happening, whenever I go to a website to watch streaming
video like
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-tsn.html
All i get is the little white box with the red X

Whenever I go to my account in Sirius Satellite radio to listen online, it
wont play. In Firefox it says I am missing a plug in, but I have the latest
Windows Media Plugin and when I try to install it, nothing changes. Oh and it
wont recommend the "plugin" i need.

This last time it said "application/x-oleobject" whatever that means.

Does anyone have any ideas???
cwdjrxyz
2008-01-04 19:46:57 UTC
Post by JSGTPD
Hi all
Ok so here is what I am running
Windows Vista Home Premium
Firefox 2.0.0.1.1
Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11
So here is what is happening, whenever I go to a website to watch streaming
video likehttp://channelsurfing.net/watch-tsn.html
All i get is the little white box with the red X
Whenever I go to my account in Sirius Satellite radio to listen online, it
wont play. In Firefox it says I am missing a plug in, but I have the latest
Windows Media Plugin and when I try to install it, nothing changes. Oh and it
wont recommend the "plugin" i need.
This last time it said "application/x-oleobject" whatever that means.
Does anyone have any ideas???
You have to install something to get this video service, and I am not
about to do that to just test it. I notice a link for instructions for
installing when Firefox is used, so it is meant to work on Firefox as
well as IE. You likely need to contact the company at the url you give
above to solve your problem unless you are lucky and someone who uses
this service has had the problem and has found out how to correct it
by experiment or by contacting the owner of the site. Who knows what
that program you must install to use this service does. There are many
possible reasons that there might be problems.
JSGTPD
2008-01-04 19:58:04 UTC
What your seeing is a banner ad, you dont have to install anything to view
the link I gave.

If you want to see my problem with my Sirius account, just email me at
***@newthisweek.ca and i will send you my login and pass so you can try it
out.
cwdjrxyz
2008-01-04 21:47:27 UTC
Post by JSGTPD
What your seeing is a banner ad, you dont have to install anything to view
the link I gave.
If you want to see my problem with my Sirius account, just email me at
out.
http://www.channelsurfing.net/ says:

All streams play in windows media player, so get the latest windows
media player at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx
.
If you are using Firefox and the stream is not working try IE(Internet
Explorer).
If the IE ONLY streams do not work please install Sopcast and TVU
networks
Need to contact us? CLICK HERE

I only get a video at http://channelsurfing.net/watch-tsn.html when I
use IE6. I see what you mean by the ad. On the latest versions of
Firefox, SeaMonkey, Safari for Windows, and Opera, only the ad shows
up. If you follow the ad link, it gives the information I gave you. It
does refer to another service and not the one you are interested in.

If you right click on Firefox and IE a menu does not show up. However
in Opera you can right click and select the source code for your url.

The object being used for the video being used is:

<OBJECT id="videoWin" WIDTH="480" HEIGHT="360"
CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/
nsmp2inf. cab#Version=5,1,52,701"
STANDBY="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player..."
TYPE="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" value="/asx/tsn1.asx">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" value="1">
<PARAM NAME="ShowDisplay" value="0">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" value="1">
<PARAM NAME="AutoSize" value="0">
<PARAM NAME="EnableContextMenu" VALUE="false">
</OBJECT >

This is an ActiveX object for playing the /asx/tsn1.asx video. Most
browsers other than IE do not support ActiveX. No embed path or
regular object is given for these other players. Thus most recent
browsers other than IE will not show anything where the WMPshould be.
The page likely could be rewritten with modern object code that would
support Firefox and most other modern browsers, but that is something
the site owner would have to do. There have been unofficial ActiveX
plugins for Firefox and some other browsers for use with the WMP in
the past, but use of them has not been encourged by the browser owners
for security reasons, among others. Besides they are not needed if the
page is coded properly. The object code given above likely is why the
site owner suggests using IE if the page does not work.
JSGTPD
2008-01-05 20:42:00 UTC
Ok that all makes sense from a crap website like that. This is how Sirius.com
coded their player and it wont work either

<OBJECT ID="SIRIUSPlayer" width="200" height="19"
standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="FileName"
VALUE="http://mp.siriuscanada.ca/sirius/ca/mediaplayer/asx/mac/playasx.jsp?streamKey=siriushits1&buttonStatus=low&hashkey=daEd5aYaVcFbJcOa8aTawd7bxdtdecUcFb3-bhF.QN-cw-sj1R7WyGgb9f">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
<PARAM NAME="ShowTracker" VALUE="False">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">

<PARAM NAME="ShowDisplay" VALUE="False">
<PARAM NAME="ShowCaptioning" VALUE="False">
<PARAM NAME="ShowPositionControls" VALUE="False">
<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
SRC="http://mp.siriuscanada.ca/sirius/ca/mediaplayer/asx/mac/playasx.jsp?streamKey=siriushits1&buttonStatus=low&hashkey=daEd5aYaVcFbJcOa8aTawd7bxdtdecUcFb3-bhF.QN-cw-sj1R7WyGgb9f"
name="SIRIUSPlayer"
width=200
height=19
autostart=1
ShowStatusBar=1
ShowCaptioning=0
showdisplay=0
ShowTracker=0
showcontrols=0
showpositioncontrols=0>
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>
cwdjrxyz
2008-01-06 07:25:39 UTC
Post by JSGTPD
[...]
Sirus has at least made an attempt to support non-IE browsers by
adding the embed path within the ActiveX object. This is rather old-
fashioned and not valid W3C code, but it often works. From the urls in
the object code you give, I found the two below:

http://a1726.l2896462254.c28964.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1726/28964/v0001/reflector:62254?aifp=abcd&partner=canada_online_player&stream=siriushits1&auth=daEd5aYaVcFbJcOa8aTawd7bxdtdecUcFb3-bhF.QN-cw-sj1R7WyGgb9f&token=null&login_type=&login=&campaign=&bitrate=low&wmcache=0&mswmext=.asx"/>

mms://a1726.l2896462254.c28964.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1726/28964/v0001/reflector:62254?aifp=abcd&partner=canada_online_player&stream=siriushits1&auth=daEd5aYaVcFbJcOa8aTawd7bxdtdecUcFb3-bhF.QN-cw-sj1R7WyGgb9f&token=null&login_type=&login=&campaign=&bitrate=low&wmcache=0"/>

The first url will at least open the WMP 11 on a Firefox browser, if
WMP 11 is properly installed on Firefox, but it can not find some
other information needed to work. The second url starting with mms is
an old form of reference to a Microsoft media server. With the WMP 11,
apparently Microsoft has dropped support of this as used on earlier
versions of the player, and several streaming radio stations that used
it could not be received on WMP11 when it first came out.

Coding media, especially streaming media, to play on most browsers is
one of the most complicated things you can do, and the fact that so
many kinds of media files are used does not help. Every time there is
an update in a browser or player, one needs to check to see if the
media is still working, at least the more popular of the media
formats. Many code writers do not use modern valid code, and even if
they do the media sometimes does not work because the owner of the
media format does not use standard methods.
Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]
2008-01-06 22:25:40 UTC
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:14:01 -0800, JSGTPD
Post by JSGTPD
Hi all
Ok so here is what I am running
Windows Vista Home Premium
Firefox 2.0.0.1.1
Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11
So here is what is happening, whenever I go to a website to watch streaming
video like
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-tsn.html
All i get is the little white box with the red X
The plugin released last year for Firefox should sort that out :
http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2008
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
JSGTPD
cwdjrxyz
2008-01-07 18:31:08 UTC
Post by JSGTPD
Hi all
Ok so here is what I am running
Windows Vista Home Premium
Firefox 2.0.0.1.1
Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11
So here is what is happening, whenever I go to a website to watch streaming
video like
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-tsn.html
All i get is the little white box with the red X
I am beginning to think there may be two problems. I have WMP 11
working on Firefox(and about 5 other browsers for that matter). On the
Firefox I get only the ad, but NOT the mentioned white box with the
red X, from the chanelsurfing site. A registry change sometimes is
necessary to get fairly recent WMPs working on Firefox(and the old
Mozilla and the SeaMonkey browser for that matter). There have been
various programs over the years to do this without having to get in
the registry and causing potential grief if a mistake is made in
regidit by correcting the problem directly in the registry. This has
nothing to do with third party ActiveX plugins available for some
versions of Mozilla project browsers, including Firefox, in the past.

Thus, can any media be seen using Firefox and the WMP using the users
computer? If not, you likely have never made the registry
modification(likely via a program rather than directly) that allows
WMP 10 or 11 to work on Firefox.However none of the several non IE
browsers I checked are going to open the chanelsurfing video, because
it contains only an ActiveX path that only IE family browsers can use
unless some third party, not recommended ActiveX plugins have been
added. I am not even for sure such plugins are even available for
recent versions of Firefox, although they were available for for the
old Mozilla browser that is no longer supported by the Mozilla project
and now has been replaced by Firefox and Seamonkey. I am not certain,
but ActiveX plugins may have been available for early versions of
Firefox.

To determine if your Firefox is working at all for WMP with proper
valid code go to my page at http://www.cwdjr.info/video_extreme/VideoZoo.php
using your Firefox browser. The objects used have proper code to work
on most recent browsers including IE, Firefox, Seamonkey, Opera, and
Safari for Windows. In some cases a single conventional object will
serve for all. In other video formats, both an ActiveX and an ordinary
object path must be used with Microsoft conditional comments used to
select the path. Select the first video button for the wmv
format.